Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

Biopic Friday: Top Five

If you know anything about me, you know that I devour biopics. I love them so much that I have sub-categories for my favorites. So, for Friday, I am listing my top five favorite artist/writer biopics. Watching these films affected me greatly, as they are about my most favorite artists and writers. I have included a You Tube of trailers. Also you can click on title for IMDB for trailers and information.

1. Frida

Portrays the artistic and private life of artist Frida Kahlo (released 2002). Selma Hayek plays Frida Kahlo and is amazing.



2. Pollock

Portrays the artistic and private life of artist Jackson Pollock. (Released 2000). Ed Harris and Marsha Gay Hardin (Lee Krasner) were amazing in this.


3. The Hours

This is somewhat of a stretch for a bio pic, but I still include.  (Released 2002). This film examines the life of three women, in different times, one being Virginia Woolf. It is adapted from a novel by the same name and I think is very much like a love letter to Virginia Woolf. Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, and Claire Danes are all amazing in this film.


4. Basquiat

This portrays the private and artistic life of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. (Released 1996). This film will break your heart and make you love and appreciate this artist. And David Bowie plays Andy Warhol.



5. Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle



This little gem is about the life and times of Dorothy Parker. I had a bit of trouble with Jennifer Jason Leigh as Mrs. Parker, but I settled into it and think she does a fabulous job at her portrayal. And, who doesn't adore Dorothy Parker?

I have many more. But, these are my top five and I believe worth watching. Several of these are beautiful tragedies. Alas, I am most likely more affected by the story of the artist's life than their work. I think the two go hand-in-hand. It makes me appreciate their art so much more.





No comments:

Post a Comment